Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Sunrise and a couple of book reviews

 I did leave out early this morning, the walk is more enjoyable.
Sunrise. . .she's thinking about it!!
 At the end of my walk, She's UP!
Sunrise
I've been reading a lot lately.  I'm not quite finished with the book I am writing and we are suppose to read, read, read.  Which is exactly what I have been doing since last November.  I read mostly YA (young adult) because I write children's books and YA.  However, there are a few 'different' types of books that I really like and authors that I hadn't known before.

For example, I just found a new author that blew me away, Ann Hood. I wrote on her blog and she answered immediately.  J.A.Jance is another author that will always answer you. I have followed her and I even have a pic with her from 2007.  I have always been a voracious reader and authors to me are what rock stars were to my children. Another new author writes in all genres. Her characters are fantastic and her books are page turners,  Kelley Armstrong.

OMENS  by Kelley Armstrong 

An amazing story of relationships and an intuition that appears stronger in some people.  We all, as children, surely are inundated with ‘old wives tales’ or superstitions and sometimes those stories go deeply inside us.  As we grow older, we ignore those feelings and eventually if they become strong enough and if coincidences happen, we embrace them.  They become signs, either happy signs, or warning signs.  We continue to learn!  The characters are so well written, that, perhaps you know them or someone like them. Ah, that explains everything. . .or, does it!  Intrigue and masterful story telling. 

The OBITUARY WRITER by Ann Hood

Ms. Hood speaks of death and great love.  She shows us how deep love can be. Living in that past and only hanging on to lost love can wound us deeply and cause us to miss life. Death is a wounding that rarely heals, but softens as the years and experiences go forward. If we insist on the living in the past, we cannot go forward into a future we deserve. She teaches that truth is not always what we think it is. . . and in guessing we mistakenly hurt ourselves and others. It is a story that is complex but relevant in knowing how to live a full life. The writer is an expert at emotions and feelings.

This one should be read by children and adults.  She is a new author and this is her first book, R.J. Palacio.
WONDER by R.J. Palacio
We all have choices. We can grow up to be kind or Cruel. Each of us can change the world one person at a time. The YA book about a little boy with a horribly deformed face did just that. The whole world can seem to be against you and maybe it is. But in the end the choice of how you handle it will make all the difference. This is a remarkable story told brilliantly through the eyes of several children and of their parental environment.  Parental environment makes a difference in all our lives. 

I have joined GOODREADS where you can find books with descriptions and authors with blogs.
Read a Book as our Pastor said last Sunday.  I have 14 sitting there to read right now (and some of them I review for the on line bookstores and Goodreads).

I also have another blog where I show my art work and the Documented Life Journal I am doing with an on line group.  I also volunteer at the local animal shelter.  This week I will be reading my book to the local literary group.
Blessings,
Janet

Surround yourself with positive people. It will be those people that will help you get to your next level in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment